UltraRadiac™-Plus Personal Radiation Monitor
The potential threat of a radiological terrorism incident requires that first responders are equipped with a radiation monitor that is designed to address the radiation hazards they may face. CANBERRA's UltraRadiac-Plus is the perfect unit for firefighters, HAZMAT teams, paramedics and other first responders. It offers the small size and light weight needed to avoid interference with the critical work of first responders while providing continually updated information to the wearer.
Most electronic dosimeters on the market were intended for laboratory use, and not for the rugged environments that first responders may encounter. CANBERRA's UltraRadiac-Plus – based on a US Military design – is a small, rugged, simple to operate radiation monitor that displays both the radiation levels and the total dose that is received. A large, backlit LCD display ensures that the unit can be read in any light conditions. Alarms are annunciated by a flashing display, loud audible signal and vibration of the unit itself, when user-set dose rate or total dose alarm levels are exceeded.
There are two separate alarm levels for both dose rate and total dose. The first alarm would generally be set at a level somewhat above natural background to alert the wearer that radiation is present. The second would then be set at a higher level, indicating a significant hazard that requires action. The UltraRadiac-Plus also has a unique "stay time" feature that shows the wearer how much time (at the current dose rate) he/she can remain in place before a high dose alarm is reached.
The unit is designed to withstand extreme environmental hazards of temperature, shock, humidity, dust, immersion and high radiation fields. The extreme ruggedness of the design has been time tested – over 60 000 of the military and civilian versions have been shipped world-wide. This is critical for the first responder operating in the hostile conditions of a disaster site!
When used with a host computer, the optical RS-232 port of the UltraRadiac-Plus enables real time data to be provided to the computer such that dose rate mapping can be generated.
- Personal radiation monitor designed for the needs of first responders
- Measures and displays radiation dose rate and total dose
- Presettable two level audio, visual and vibrating alarms for rate and dose
- Designed to operate in extremes of temperature, shock, humidity, dust, immersion and radiation
- Large, easy-to-read backlitLCD display
- Intuitive six button user interface
- Operable/readable by personnel in fire fighting orHAZMAT protective gear
- Uses standard AAA batteries
- Can be powered by NiMH rechargeable batteries
(optional DC charger)
- Ultra-small size (12.8 in.3) and weight (9.5 oz)
- CANBERRA's unique time-tocount technology for wider dynamic range
- Data logging capability to 999 points
- "Stay time" display shows time remaining to dose alarm
- Source finder mode
- Derived from military qualified Radiac Set