Gamma Spectroscopy System (integrated)
Counting laboratories involved in the routine qualification and quantification of gamma emitting nuclides are burdened with the often overwhelming problem of sample management. CANBERRA integrated Gamma spectroscopy solutions maximize instrument utilization and produce high quality results.
Products in category
Gamma Analyst Integrated Gamma Spectrometer
Counting laboratories involved in the routine qualification and quantification of gamma emitting nuclides are burdened with the often overwhelming problem of sample management. How can sample throughput be maximized while addressing the need to meet stringent detection limits and quality standards? The normal approach is to utilize one or more technicians to manually load and count successive samples to a fixed counting time. However, this is very labor intensive and not an extremely efficient solution to the problem.
CANBERRA's Gamma Analyst is a dedicated turnkey instrument which maximizes instrument utilization and produces high quality results. The automatic sample changer facilitates maximum sample throughput with the added flexibility to handle multiple sample geometries in any combination in a single sample batch. In addition to the features which facilitate flexible batch maintenance, the sample changer design minimizes the use of critical laboratory space for the gamma spectrometer.
The instrument's performance is further enhanced by the flexibility of the software which allows the operator to define a unique assay protocol (count time, geometry, data reduction sequence, library, reports, etc.) on a sample by sample basis. A unique "Count to MDA" feature makes the most efficient use of the limited counting time available, by actually calculating the count time required to achieve a specified MDA and counting only for that period of time, thus shortening the count time for most samples.
- Turnkey automatic gamma spectroscopy instrument
- Automatic sample changer handles multiple geometries simultaneously
- Designed to count samples to sensitivities required by regulatory limits
- Low background design
- Straightforward lab oriented user interface dialog
- Extensive QA record keeping built in
- Connects directly to Ethernet network
- Small physical dimensions for mobile or restricted space applications
- Supported by a full suite of integration, installation, calibration and training services
FoodScreen™ Radiological Food Screening System
The CANBERRA FoodScreen Radiological Food Screening System is a complete, transportable food analyzer for quickly determining whether raw or processed food has become contaminated from a radiological event. A sample is placed into the shield, a count is initiated and a final report is generated. The report lists activity or minimum detectible activity concentrations found in the sample for the key nuclides of interest for food products: Iodine-131, Cesium-134 and Cesium-137. Based on nuclidespecific limits pre-determined by the system manager, the report will also state whether the sample is "Clean" or "Above Limit". Above limit samples may need to be investigated further in a higher resolution detector system such as the CANBERRA FoodSpec™ Radiological Food Analysis System.
The FoodScreen includes a 2 x 2 in. NaI(Tl) detector (optionally temperature stabilized), 7F7 Mobile FoodScreen Shield, a NORM* KCl calibration check source, Osprey™ Universal Digital MCA Tube Base, industry-standard Genie 2000 spectroscopy algorithms and the Genie-FoodPro application software to streamline and simplify counting operations.
Systems are provided pre-calibrated for a variety of sample types including: water, seawater, dairy products, vegetation, grains, meat, eggs, fish, baby food, etc. Of course, the samples may be raw materials directly from the field or processed foods from a factory, export/import dock, warehouse or retail store. A wide range of sample containers is supported to accommodate both raw and canned foods.
Two different system models are available: FoodScreen and FoodScreen-Plus. The only difference between the two models is the detector. FoodScreen includes a standard 2 x 2 in. NaI(Tl) detector, while FoodScreen-Plus incorporates a patented** NAIS-2x2 LED temperature-stabilized 2 x 2 in. NaI(Tl) detector. Sodium Iodide detectors tend to drift with changes in temperature, causing their spectra to broaden and making the detected nuclides more difficult to identify and quantify. Therefore, FoodScreen-Plus is optimized for use in non-air-conditioned rooms as well as field applications.
* NORM - Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material
** US Patent 7,005,646 B1 and 7,049,598 B1
- Rapid screening of processed or raw food products for key 131I, 134Cs and 137Cs nuclides
- Clear, immediate indication if any nuclide-specific maximum permissible concentrations are exceeded
- Transportable using compact and wheeled detector shield
- Supports wide range of samples including 1 L Marinelli, metal food cans, beverage cans and plastic containers
- Completely battery-powered – from laptop PC's USB port
- Room temperature operation with option for temperature stabilization if measurements will be made out of doors
- Powerful Genie™ 2000 spectroscopy algorithms teamed with the intuitive Genie-FoodPro™ user interface designed specifically for this application
- Turn-key system is provided ready to count, calibrated for typical sample types in a range of common sample containers
- On-site training and /or start-up assistance available from local CANBERRA representative